Monday 1 March 2010

out and about today

cracking weather today in the Glen, thought I would have another go at walking and see how I got on. I'm 3 weeks post op from the last operation. Last weekend I was sore for 3 days after wandering up the Brecklet path and down to the Quarry. I think the proximal end of my humerus was still trying to swing despite the cast so the callous was all disrupted. Today went much better. I've uploaded a picture of the west face of Aonach Dubh, a crown wall extends the length of the face where the entire slope has avalanched over the cliffs, spectacular and shows how the snow was redistributed after this week's Easterly airflow. Two avalanche rescues in the last week, last wednesday on the Buachaillie saw two lads killed trying to be careful descending coire Tulaich. Saturday was the biggest avalanche i've been involved in with the team. 2 very experienced skiers wandered just a bit too far west of Etive Glades on Meall a bhuirdh and were carried 1000 feet plus down into the Cam Ghleann. One broke his leg so a very lucky excape considering the size of the avalanche and the distance travellled. Rescue 177 brought them over to us so I got involved sorting out his pain control with IV morphine and entonox before slpinting the leg. I felt much better being able to contribute as I was very frustrated on Wednesday being unable to help the team deal with the Buachaille avalanche.

No comments: